Saturday, August 9, 2008

School, Already?

School starts in two days. Before we post back-to-school pics, I thought we should post some pics of what we did all summer. The shot above is Hyrum on the last day of first grade. His school award ceremony kicked off our 11-week vacation.

The next day, we took off for a Memorial Day weekend road trip to Houston. Itinerary: a temple session, the Church's cannery and something fun to celebrate the end of school. Hyrum chose the Houston Children's Museum for the "fun" venue. Here are Hyrum, Ruthie & Lily exploring the museum.

We spent the rest of the summer
doing every lesson and camp we could squeeze in.

Ruthie had her very first swimming lesson May 28th,
a private one to get her ready for group lessons.
She did great!


Then came four weeks of group swim lessons . . .


soccer camp . . .


and lots of watching soccer camp. :)



Next was baseball camp . . .


and watching baseball camp.


Then gymnastics, tot tumbling,


and basketball camp.


We organized the playroom,
and invited lots of friends for air-conditioned play dates.

Before . . .


and After . . .




There was even a little time to just play in the dirt.



If summer is a microcosm of childhood, then I don't look forward to letting my kids leave the nest. I am so sad that Hyrum has to go back to school and that Ruthie will be gone to pre-school two days a week. I get a sick feeling when I think about them leaving. I *do* look forward to more one-on-one with Lily.

What shall we read first, Lil'?

5 comments:

Amanda said...

You guys are crazy busy!

Dan and I were just talking about adults need a summer vacation too.

Your kids are so adorable. I really like the short bob cuts on your girls. Hyrum looks tall in those pictures.

The Seaquist Family said...

Ok you must be the coolest Mom ever to manage all those camps in one summer. And you have a play room? What? I need a play room! I thought the play room was calle outside? Miss you guys!

Unknown said...

Wow, you did a great job cleaning up the playroom if I pay your airfare will you come clean up ours LOL
Congrats on moving on to the the 2nd grade Hyrum, Congrats Ruthie for doing so well at swimming and Congrats Lilly just for being the cute and sweet little being that you are.
We miss all of you guys and gals so much.

Dana said...

Ruthie is getting so big! What a cute girl! Looks like you had an eventful summer. We actually started school with our kids, except Stuart is doing two weeks of cybercamp. I guess his parents are more on the geeky side than the athletic side when it comes to summer camps.

Kelly said...

Wow! What a FUN summer. It sounds like there was FUN aplenty. I bet Lily was the best soccer/baseball/gymnastics/swimming watcher of all.