Saturday, September 13, 2008

Whew...that was close!

Although there have been multiple tornado sitings on and around the Army post we live on, we still have power, water and are safe for now. A tornado watch and flash flood warning are still in effect.

While I was under lock down at the hospital overnight, Rebecca and the kids were in our 1960’s Army house, sleeping downstairs. On multiple occasions overnight they rushed into the bathroom in response to tornado sirens outside (the siren sounds like the WWII sirens that warned the people of London of approaching German bombers...I think they are a little eerie sounding).

After the hurricane traveled north and west of us, I was released from the hospital to go home this afternoon. So far we've only had one additional tornado warning (yes, that means we all snuggled up in the bathroom for a time together). Otherwise, I’ve been listening to the BYU/UCLA football game on-line. GO BYU!!!

Now we pray for Galveston and Houston folks. Over 4 million without power…whoa!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Amazing how much more calm I felt when Mark walked through the door, today . . .

Dana said...

wow, guys! That sounds scary! When I was in high school, we travelled out west, and we had a few run-ins with tornados. My last run-in was in 1995 in Iowa, when we were travelling in Iowa towards Wisconsin, and a tornado crossed over the freeeway. I have never in my life driven in scarier conditions. Actually, my mom drove, and I prayed.

The Seaquist Family said...

It is amazing to think when you live on the west coast I never pay attention to the weather patterns, but being back on the east (we got a little of Hanna) having a great friend in Miami, you guys in Louisiana, and the Flakes in Biloxi I am VERY aware of weather patterns now. Glad things moved on by and around you, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for no tornados.

Anonymous said...

Mark, As Becca said, it is amazing that those you love are the ones you want near you in times of stress. I'm grateful for your strength. I was more calm too, when Becca told me that you were home. Thanks for the visual. The ones on TV showed the storm going right over the top of you. You're all in my prayers. I love you, Mom : )

Stefanie said...

I'm glad you guys are all safe. That would be too much stress for me to handle. You're a very strong person, Rebecca. You must take after your mom.