Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Just Like Christmas


Look what the FedEx man brought . . .

132 #10 cans of wheat, quick oats, pinto beans and rice. When I opened the door, I felt like a kid on Christmas morning!

The closest Church cannery to our house is in Houston--3+ hours away. They are out of wheat, rice, pintos and lots of other stuff. People in Leesville who usually order grain from distributors on-line can't get anything shipped out here, right now. I was relieved that the Salt Lake Distribution Center had inventory and that they will now ship via FedEx.

A family in our congregation tells a Hurricane Katrina story. Their son, who works on an off-shore oil rig, brought a work buddy home after the storm hit. The buddy was on his way to his own family and had no idea in what condition he would find them. The family in our congregation sent a big bag of rice and a big bag of red beans from their food storage with him. Those bags fed 30 people for over a week, until the other family was able to get access to food, again.

When Hurricane Rita hit Leesville, it was a category 1. I hear that everyone was without power for at least a week, some for two. I honestly don't think that another hurricane is going to hit Leesville (we're more vulnerable to tornadoes), but there's a good chance that we'll be sheltering people at our church if something hits further south. Sure hope potential evacuees like pinto beans. : )

No comments: