Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"Major" Party

Mark was officially promoted to Major, last week. Here's his take on the day . . .

Storyline...backwards in time...oops....

Back in daddy's office after lunch.

Back in daddy's office.

Lunch in Peds breakroom after ceremony.

Lunch.

Hyrum "pinning on" new major patch.

Ruthie "pinning on" major patch.

Lily "pinning on" major patch. (Lily first came up, I took off the old captain patch, and Lily put on the new major patch. Then Ruthie came up, I took off the major patch and she put it right back on. Then Hyrum came up, I took it off, he put it on; thus allowing each child to participate. Each time they put on the patch, they put it on with a "slap" (like you're giving the patch a 'high-five'), that's how they did it in Iraq, so I taught the kids how to do it this morning before I left for work. Each time each child "slapped it on" the folks watching would smile/laugh...the kids put on a good show.
Since being home from work this evening, the children have been repeating, "Attention to order!!! Then pretending to "slap on" my patch."

COL Giacoppe talking about Pediatrics in the Army.

Footnote: For about 2 years now, Hyrum often asked, "Dad, one of my friends at school said [he/she] went to their dad's promotion ceremony. Do you think I will be able to go to yours when you have it?" For a number of months in the past, I would answer him with sadness in my heart, "Well sweetheart, I'll be deployed in Iraq during my promotion ceremony..." Thankfully, I ended up deploying for 6 months instead of 15 months (as originally scheduled), and thus I was able to be home w/ family for my promotion ceremony. Hyrum, in particular, really enjoyed the day I think. I have a feeling when school starts back up in a couple months, he'll be thankful to tell some of his friends his exciting day at his dad's promotion ceremony. I'm so thankful to be home w/ family.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I watch your family from afar and can't wait to have you closer. I love you, Sis and Bro, thank you for being... mine.

Kelly said...

I watch your family from afar and can't wait to have you closer. I love you, Sis and Bro, thank you for being... mine.

Jodi Loveland said...

Oh I'm so glad to hear that Mark is finally home and the deployment is over!! I have thought and prayed for your family many times over the last 6 months.
Congrats on the promotion too! The slapping on of the patch is way cute. Much cuter than when the soldiers do it. :)